You may not know this, but crafting can help to improve your mental health. Crafting can help reduce anxiety and can also ease stress which can help to fight depression. The great
part about crafting is that it doesn’t have to be perfect, it can be whatever you want to create. Crafting is beneficial because it can help to build one’s self-esteem, help with insomnia, and help you relax. It allows you to focus on something positive and improves your mood. Crafting can be done anywhere you want and at any time, so it’s a very accessible way to destress. Sometimes it can be hard to take your mind off of school or exams so setting aside some time to relax is a good way to make sure you don’t overwork yourself. The repetitive motions done in activities such as knitting can help calm your mind and body which is great for your overall health.
Doing these activities in a group is a great way to interact with others which can contribute to your happiness and improve your mental health. Social activities are a great way to improve communication and your wellbeing. There are many ways to craft that will benefit your mental health.
Here are some ideas that you can use to start crafting:
1. Knitting and crocheting are both great activities that can help calm you down. They help
to reduce stress and are a great way to keep yourself busy. They can also be used as a
way to meditate. You can find the materials to knit or crochet at a craft store and the best
part is that you can create things that are useful to you such as hats or gloves.
2. Painting is another activity that can help with your mental health. It can stimulate your
mind and allow you to express your creativity. Also, painting can improve your mood
and boost your happiness which can alleviate stress. The great thing about this activity is
that there are no restrictions on what you can paint.
3. Coloring is another way to alleviate stress. It helps to create a sense of mindfulness and is
a great way to relax. Coloring intricate drawings usually helps you to focus on one
activity and eases your mind. If you’re feeling anxious, coloring can help you calm down
and focus your attention on something positive.
4. Decorating your notebooks or planners is a great distraction. You can make your notes
colorful and organized using pens and highlighters. This can make your notes more
appealing to look at and it can be more engaging. Also, if you make your notes more
organized you may feel less stress when studying.
Overall, crafting can be a great addition to your daily activities. It’s fun and allows you to
express your creativity through various mediums. There are no boundaries to what you can
create and they may help bring some tranquility to your busy day.
● Johnson, L. (2019, April 18). DIY Depression Therapy: How the Arts Can Heal.
● Crafting for Health: What are the health benefits of crafting? Crafting for Health | What
are the health benefits of crafting? (n.d.). https://www.uaex.edu/life-skills-
● The Health and Mental Benefits of Crafting. Adults and Crafts. (n.d.).
● Community. Yarnspirations. (n.d.). https://www.yarnspirations.com/rh-20160510-health-
● Benefits of Painting for Brain & Mental Health: Tessera Brandon. Tessera of Brandon.
(2020, February 4). https://www.tesserabrandon.com/health/benefits-painting-brain-
● 14 Craft Ideas to Combat Anxiety. FaveCrafts.com. (2018, September 18).
● Health, B. (2016, August 2). Health Benefits of Coloring for Adults. Beaumont Health.